Sunday, January 26, 2014

Another Dip in the Vortex




The experts say the coldest air of the season is on the way!  This is scary because we've already had some cold temperatures, like -15F cold!  Just the other day a water pipe froze.  We had the cabinets open and the faucet dripping, then I forgot and turned it off, and the rest was history.  Thankfully, we got some good advice and got the pipe to thaw without damage, that we know of.

My number one concern is for the roads.  The salt solutions don't work on the roads at these temperatures, so I worry about driving, about my husband driving.  We have stocked up on food.  The gas tank is full.  We put plastic on some of our leaky windows. We caulked some others.  I think we are as ready as we can be. The only thing to do now is wait it out.

This January has been the second snowiest on record, too.  I don't want to break that record!  We actually have had more snow than our usual average snow total for the year.  I know that it is not as cold or snowy as other places, but we are not used to this, so it seems more intense.  I am sure to not forget this winter!

15 comments:

  1. Stay safe!

    Hint for extreme cold: keep a bag of kitty litter in your car. If you get stuck, you can throw the kitty litter under your tires to help them get grip.

    Keep your face covered with turtle fur or even a scarf. Frostbite happen fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have taken your suggestions to heart! Thank you, dear Alaskan friend.

      Delete
  2. So sorry for your extreme cold. I hope this finally shuts up the global warming camp. I am so tired of winter. Usually I hit my limit around Ground Hogs Day, but this winter is intense. Most Minnesota schools are closed again today due to the cold. It's currently -15 (Hi expected at -11) and -46 windchill. Warm Wishes to You and Yours. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, the global warming camp used the magic wand of time, like the evolutionists, so they probably see this as an irregularity, not a trend. lol.

      Delete
  3. The cold temps are in my area too (Central Indiana). Thankfully I don't work outside of my home so I am able to stay in and keep a warm soup simmering. Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendi, we live in central Indiana, too, in Greenwood! We could be neighbors! :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Jennifer, we are bracing ourselves for the cold as well. The temps are continuing to go down today and it is supposed to hit us overnight into tomorrow. Sorry to hear about the burst pipe, but it sounds like you caught it before it caused too much damage. Stay safe and warm, Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I hope you stay safe and warm as well! Yes, I am so thankful that the pipe didn't burst. It taught me a lesson to be more diligent, though.

      Delete
  5. It has been unusually cold here as well. We actually had frozen pipes. ( a first in this home). Bracing for what may be a record snow for our area later this week. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your pipes didn't burst, Tina. It just made me sick as we waited for ours to hopefully thaw. I was never so glad to see running water!

      Delete
  6. It's so strange, you are having our winter and we are having yours. We have hardly any snow, and we have been in temps in the 30's. I'm just waiting for our 'normal' weather to come back, lots of snow and temps in the teens or below zero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, you are perfectly welcome to come retrieve your winter. I will gladly switch back. :)

      Delete
  7. We've been having an 'old fashioned winter' too. My husband, who knows about these things, is concerned about global cooling and wants us to learn gardening for cooler weather. I hope he's just as wrong as the global warmers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brrrrr cold! I will not complain about our cold especially since we are truly lacking in our usual winter weather.

    Be safe and Keep Warm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Embracing the cold with you dear friend...

    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails