Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The "Blizzard" of 2014







Good morning friends!  Life is starting to return to normal as our blizzard-like adventure wraps up.  Jeff went back to work today.  I am still waiting to hear from him about how the roads are. Local schools are still closed.  AWANA was canceled for tonight, for which I am extremely grateful.

It all started last Friday, when we decided to heed the storm warning and load up at the grocery store.  We, along with the rest of Indiana, all had the same idea.  I was amused to see empty shelves, especially a run on bacon.  Really?  I didn't know that bacon was a storm staple.  Now I do and will be sure to get a few packages next time.  The usual things were gone, but that didn't bother me too much, as I like to buy organic or as close as possible and those are the last things to run out.

Saturday, was pretty much a normal day, thankfully.  We had to go to the BMV, and Jeff took Ryan to a local college basketball game.  I made a batch of chili, and was thankful we avoided the crazy people at the grocery stores on Saturday, as reports were coming in from Facebook that things were getting worse at the stores hour by hour.

And then  "it" hit us Sunday morning.  Our dear church leaders had already encouraged us to stay home and watch the service online.  Thankfully, Ryan and Grace's scheduled service in children's ministry was canceled, another wise call.  We all five snuggled into the sectional and watched church via our Chromebook hooked up to our TV as huge, fluffy snowflakes started to fall and continued to fall all day.

The snow really came down hard and fast, at an inch an hour.  The temperatures started to drop, too.  And the wind was howling by evening.  Jeff and the kids kept the driveway and sidewalks clear, as we knew the temperatures were falling to below zero overnight and we would not be able to shovel on Monday.

Monday came.  Oh my, it came!  We woke to temperatures of -10 below with windchills of -30.  The house struggled to keep above 65.  We celebrated Epiphany with Jeff leading us in prayer, our nativity, and some cinnamon buns.  I was so thankful to have electricity, not everyone did in our area.  We also managed to have a normal school day.  Jeff set himself up in the office to study tax things.  I made us fajitas for dinner.  I also made us a pumpkin cake!

Tuesday arrived and we were now -15.  Jeff had to stay home again because the interstate he takes to work was closed.  It was a sheet of ice.  No chemicals can work on the ice in these conditions. Still, we managed to keep warm and have a normal school day.  I made awesome turkey noodle soup with homemade stock from a turkey I roasted Sunday.  My we were eating well during this storm!  Finally, the temperatures rose above 0, but the roads remained closed all day.  We watched part of Gone With the Wind to pass the time.

Today, as I said above, Jeff is back at work.  I just received a text from him saying the roads were icy in patches, but thank God he made it safely.  The temperatures are supposed to be in the 20's today.  We could get an inch of snow later.  But by Saturday, we are supposed to get rain and be in the 40's.  What a weather week!

11 comments:

  1. Amazing. We are cold here in the Virginia as well. We do not usually see weather in the teens with negatives due to wind chill. Actually had one pipe freeze. Working on that now! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, a frozen pipe! I fear those. We left our faucets on outside walls drip a little while we were below zero. I hope yours thaw OK!

      Delete
  2. I used to love the unexpected, weather related home times as a kid. Now, I live in the land of keep going.
    Glad you had electricity the entire time and a good stock up on food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your extreme weather we see on the news here in Holland :-) http://www.nu.nl/buitenland/3668583/ijskoud-weer-legt-groot-deel-noorden-vs-plat.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our weather (temperatures) have been crazy too. We didn't get the snow you got, but did get the frigid cold. I'm glad everyone is save and sound. The food you prepared sounds great. We are supposed to get some snow later today, but I don't know that it will amount to anything. Like you, our weather is supposed to start warming up compared to what it was. Stay safe and warm. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, it almost looks like my yard....in the wrong place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So the weather we got here in the north country was you guys sharing. Y'all were too kind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - you guys got hit hard with snow! we didnt' get any snow - but the temps/windchills were brutal. (Almost -50) As awful as the weather was, I viewed it as a gift from God, as everything was closed/cancelled and I didn't have to run anywhere all week. It was my most relaxing week this school year, and it is making me seriously reconsider our activities for 2nd semester.

    I love how you made it snow in your photos...very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brrrr cold!!! It looks like winter. So glad that you were able to eat well and had electricity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you made it through it all ok. That is quite a bit of snow, and yes very chilly. We get those kinds of temps regularly through the winter, but it's still pretty cold when it happens. I hope this weekend is better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a storm you have had! so glad you were all safe and warmish inside. Hard to imagine such cold temperatures, we are in the middle of summer here and have just cut and baled our hay.

    I still enjoy reading your stories down under here in Christchurch, New Zealand. Keep safe and God Bless!

    Lee-Anne

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you for taking the time to chime in. And, check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails